Tuesday, February 25, 2014

in and out groups

In the last 2 weeks in sociology class when went more in depth learning about our society around us. Sociologist use the term ingroups and outgroups. Ingroups are the groups in our  everyday life that you are apart of like family, friends at school, close friends, co workers, peers, and etc. You feel attached to your ingroup and are more likely to judge people who are not it in which would be outgroups. We watched a video in class where a school teacher separated blue eyed kids from brown eyed kids. She made the blue eyed feel dominant over the brown eyed kids to show them what it feels like to be part of a outcast group. Being in perspective I know my ingroups which are my close friends, friends at school, family, and co workers. Knowing where I stand in my ingroups  has made me become more mindful because I am now more conscious not to make harsh judgments about other outgroups because everybody plays a different role in society.

In class we matched the movie the Bronx Tale I throughly enjoyed the movie and saw how it applied to the concepts we are learning in class. You could see in the movie that Calogero's ingroups were the mob, his friends, family, and his peers in his neighborhood. Calogeros master status changed over the course of the movie because you got to see him grow up. When he was little his master status was a son to his mother and father. As he got older his master status somewhat changed into a member of Sonnys crew. It was hard for him to make this change because his parents werent part of sonnys ingroup. An outgroup of the whole neighborhood was the African Americans because no nobody took the time to have mindful thoughts towards them except Calogero when he met jane. My master status like Calogero's has changed somewhat too because as I grew up i spent more time hanging out with my close friends but I will forever have a master status of a sister because of the number of siblings I have in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment