Tuesday, April 8, 2014

post 6 ways of seeing

During the last week during last we have learned about how technology and media has influenced us and our society around us. In class we watched an Oprah show on kids who have been neglected by their parents. When kids at a young age aren't exposed to society and don't have a father and mother figure to influence they don't mature like most kids in our society.It was sad seeing the condition she used to live her isolated from society until she got recused and adopted. I believe our parents are the biggest influence when we are growing up because they are the ones who raise us. We grow up watching our parents. I definitely wouldn't be the same person I am today without the influence of my parents. Then we watched a documentary called Consuming Kids, this documentary opened my eyes and made me realize that media doesn't have and doesn't even want to have any educational and valuable values to kids. They just come up with ways that will make their product sell the greatest amounts. They want kids to value their imagine and focus on what will make them "cooler." I remember as a kid I was never satisfied with the toys I had, I always wanted more and more. I always thought I needed to have the coolest toy out there. When I did the television experiment and sat with the television off I was staring at a blank black screen with a reflection of me in it. I couldnt even sit there to long without wanting to get up or turn the television on because it was so boring. By just a click of a button the blank black screen turned into a mesmerizing entertainment. I realized even though the television is turned on i'm still sitting in the same exact place looking at the same lifeless television. You're still there sitting doing nothing looking at the same screen except when its on the boring action of sitting there doesn't change.

1 comment:

  1. I remember growing up and always wanting a different toy too. Even if i got what I wanted I would soon grow sick of it and move on to the next popular toy.

    ReplyDelete